Pages

Friday 16 May 2014

Funnel ears science experiment

Science experiment:


Question: What will happen to the sound if I change the shape of a piece of paper? (e.g. from a flat shape to a funnel shape)


Links to research about Sound:


Hypothesis: (What do you think will happen?) e.g. I think that….


Materials needed:


Experiment (procedure):


e.g. Step 1 - First hold a flat piece of paper against your ear. Block your other ear with your hand. Get your partner to speak to you. What is the sound like? Can you hear clearly?


Step 2 - Next, roll the piece of paper into a funnel shape. Put the funnel against your ear. Face the funnel towards your partner and listen to them speak. What does it sound like? Can you hear clearly?


Step 3 - Next, face the funnel to the side while your partner speaks to you. Does it make a difference to the sound that you can hear?


Step 4 - Put some cotton balls or tissue paper into the funnel to block one end. Does it make a difference to the sound you hear?


Step 5 - Next, roll the piece of paper up and l

Data (What happened?)



Shape/object/materials
Results:
1
flat piece of paper
It sounded the same.
2
funnel facing to the front
It sounded a bit louder
3
funnel facing to the side
It sounded softer
4
cotton ball or tissue  blocking the narrow end of the funnel
It sounded softer than the one before
5
rolled up piece of paper (facing to the front)
It was louder and clearer
6
rolled up piece of paper (facing to the side)
It was not that clear.




Observations:


When I used a flat piece of paper it sounded the same. When I used the funnel facing to the front it sounded a bit louder. When I used funnel facing to the side it sounded softer. When I used cotton ball or tissue  blocking the narrow end of the funnel It sounded softer than the one before. When I rolled up piece of paper (facing to the front) it was louder and clearer. When I rolled up piece of paper (facing to the side)It was not that clear.




Conclusion:


l learned that when I use a funnel facing to the front it helps me to hear better. When it is facing to the side I can’t hear as well as before.


No comments:

Post a Comment